Thursday, January 04, 2007

Tell a Story

The old preacher had an important point. "You have to talk to people on their level. Look at Jesus. All He did was sit down an tell stories about things his audience would be familiar with."

I could see what he meant. But there had to be more to it than that.

Now, several years on, I look back and I can see he was right all the time. The occasions I have conncected best with my audience haven't been where I've been expounding on something theoretical. It has been where I've been able to draw out spiritual principles from issues that have been part of their daily lives. Just observations - sometimes humorous, sometimes poignant.

So, look out for examples of great storytelling. If you can't think of anywhere to look, pick up your Bible and start looking at the parables with the eyes of someone from a 1st Century rural society...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home